In this article, we will discuss how do you get pink eye and ways to treat pink eye. Pink eye may sound scary, that it is a very common eye problem among people. Everyone experiences pink eye once in a while. Anyone can get pink eye, but college students, school children, day care workers, preschoolers and teachers are particularly at risk due to their closeness with others. This article is about how do you get pink eye.
How do You Get Pink Eye?
Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis. It is an inflammation of the thin and clear, covering of the white part of the eye inside the eyelids. It is an uncomfortable and irritating condition with symptoms such as tearing, redness, swelling, itching and burning sensation in the eyes. Pink eye can be caused by many factors such as virus, allergies, bacteria and a chemical splash in the eye. There are several treatments to treat a pink eye such home remedies and natural remedies. Read this article, you will find some remedies to get rid of pink eye.
Types of Pink Eye:
There are three types of pink eye.
- Allergic Conjunctivitis– This type of conjunctivitis is caused by eye irritants such as dust, pollen and animal dander. It can be seasonal or flare up year round.
- Viral Conjunctivitis– This type of conjunctivitis is caused by a virus such as the common cold. It is very contagious, but it usually clear up within several days without any medical treatment.
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis– This type of conjunctivitis is caused by bacteria and can cause serious damage to the eye if it is not treated.
Symptoms of Pink Eye:
- A gritty feeling
- A discharge from eyes
- Blurred vision
- Increased sensitivity to light
Causes of Pink Eye:
- A chemical splash in the eye
- A foreign object in the eye
How Long Does Pink Eye Last?
Pink eye is can last up to a month or more than a month. It should be treated on time, so here are remedies to treat pink eye fast and naturally.
Best Treatments to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
1.) Clean the Infected Eye to Treat Pink Eye
When discharge begins in your eye, you need to clear it to prevent bacteria from infected.
- First, wash your hands before cleaning your eyes.
- Wipe the eye in the corner and then nose.
- Then wash your hands again after cleaning your eyes.
- Immediately dispose eye wipes.
2.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
Boric acid is one of the best home remedies for various eye problems such as a burning sensation dryness, redness, and tearing due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. It helps to soothe eye irritation and clean your eyes.
Steps to Use Boric Acid to Treat Pink Eye:
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp of boric acid to it.
- Use this boric solution as an eyewash.
- Or you can apply this solution to the infected eye with a clean washcloth.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your eyes.
- Repeat this process 2 or 3 times a day to prevent pink eye.
3.) Cold or Warm Compress to Cure Pink Eye Fast
Using cold compress or warm compress is one of the fastest ways to treat pink eye. A cold compress helps to ease the swelling and itching, which is caused by pink eye, especially when it is caused by allergic conjunctivitis. Warm compress helps to soothe the eyes. They also prevent the discharge from infected eyes.
Steps to Use Warm Compress or Cold Compress:
- Take a clean cloth and soak it in cold or hot water and wring out the excess water.
- Place this cloth on the infected eye.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times a day.
- Don’t place the same cloth on both the eyes, especially if one eye is infected.
4.) Eyebright for Pink Eye Treatment Naturally and Fast
Eyebright is one of the best natural remedies for various eye problems, including weeping eyes, pink eye, sties, strained and bloodshot eyes. It is an herb which is very effective for pink eye due to its antibacterial and astringent properties.
Steps to Use Eyebright to Treat Pink Eye Naturally:
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Let it cool and add 5 drops of eyebright tincture to it.
- Use this solution as an eyewash.
- An alternate method, boil 1 tsp of eyebright in a cup of water for 10 minutes. Allow this solution to cool. Then, strain this solution and use it for eyewash. You can also add rose water to it. Repeat the remedy in every 4 hours.
- You can also steep equal parts of chamomile and eyebright in a boiling water. Cool this solution and then use it as eyewash.
5.) Saline Solution to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast and Naturally
Using saline solution is one of the best home remedies for conjunctivitis as it acts as a natural disinfectant. Sea Salt is also recommended for treating pink eye.
Steps to Use Saline Solution for Conjunctivitis Treatment:
- Boil a cup of water, which is mixed with 1 tsp of salt.
- Let it cool and then use this saline solution for eyewash with an eye dropper.
- Repeat this process many times a day for faster results.
6.) Calendula to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast and Naturally
Calendula is an herb that helps to fight infection and heal conjunctivitis due to its antibacterial and antiviral properties. It also helps to soothe eye irritation and discomfort due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Steps to Use Calendula to Get Relief from Pink Eye Naturally:
- Boil a cup of water and add 2 tsp of dried calendula to it.
- Allow it to steep and cool. Then strain the solution through a clean paper or cheesecloth.
- Use this solution for eyewash many times a day throughout the day.
- You can also soak a washcloth in this herbal solution while it is still warm and use it as hot a compress.
7.) Black Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
Using black tea is one of the best home remedies for pink eye treatment as it contains tannins that help to reduce swelling and itching. Black tea also contains bioflavonoids that prevent your eyes from bacterial and viral infections.
Steps to Use Black Tea to Treat Pink Eye Fast:
- Use moist black tea bags and place them on your eyes for ten minutes. Do this 3 to 4 times in a day in every few hours.
- You can also use chamomile tea bags or green tea bags.
- You can also use a solution of black tea for eyewash.
8.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast and Naturally
Lemon juice is one of most effective home remedies to remove pink eye problems due to its antibacterial and antiviral properties.
Steps to Use Lemon Juice Fast and Naturally:
- Extract the lemon juice from one lemon.
- Wash your eyes properly.
- Then pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply this lemon juice around your eyes.
- If you feel too much irritation, then don’t use this remedy.
9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Pink Eye Overnight
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies to treat pink eye fast as it contains antimicrobial properties. It helps to fight against infection that causing pink eye. It also fights against bacterial infections due to the presence of malic acid in apple cider vinegar.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Prevent Pink Eye:
- Add 2 tsp of organic apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- Dip a clean cloth or cotton ball in this solution.
- Close your eyes and wipe it with cotton cloth or a ball.
- Do this remedy in every few hours for 2 to 3 days.
10.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
Aloe vera is one of the natural remedies to cure conjunctivitis due to its antibiotic and astringent properties.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Treat Pink Eye Naturally:
- Take 1 cup of cool and boiled water and soak chunks of fresh aloe vera gel to it.
- Wait till it turns pale green.
- You can also blend the pieces of aloe vera with water.
- Use a few drops of this mixture and put it in the infected eye 3 to 4 times a day.
- You can also use this mixture for eyewash.
11.) Breast Milk to Treat Conjunctivitis Naturally and Fast
Breast milk is one of the best natural remedy to get rid of pink eye, especially in babies. Many doctors recommend breast milk as it contains healing properties to treat minor illnesses including ear infections and pink eye.
Steps to Use Breast Milk to Cure Pink eye:
- Put some drops of breast milk in the infected eye.
- Repeat this process as needed.
12.) Milk and Honey to Prevent Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
A combination of honey and milk helps to treat pink eye due to its soothing and calming effect. Honey also contains antimicrobial properties.
Steps to Milk and Honey to Prevent Pink Eye Naturally:
- Slightly warm 1 tbsp of whole milk.
- Add an equal amount of honey to this milk.
- Stir it until it becomes smooth.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of this mixture in the infected eye with an eyedropper.
- Do this remedy many times a day.