In this article, we are discussing several ways to use tea tree oil for lice. Lice in the head are a huge concern for many people. At times, the itchiness and irritation caused by head lice are intolerable. There is no specific age or time that lice get into your head. They are seen commonly among adults and kids who generally stay with the other kids in school. However, there is no reason to fright, as head lice in your head signify that your head is not healthy or clean. No need to worry much, there are several home remedies to prevent head lice. In this article, we will be discussing how tea tree oil can be used to get rid of head lice. You can also read this related article How to get rid of lice at home? on our website.
What are Lice?
Lice are small creepy insects that live on our body and feeds by sucking your blood. If not treated, they can multiply in no time. Apart from that, they move from one head to another head easily by sharing same comb or clothes and other personal items. They make you scratch your head like something moving over hair, this can be really frustrating at times. The easiest and simplest methods to deal with head lice to use tea tree oil.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is one of the famous and beneficial oil for treating several health issues. Tea tree oil is made from the leaves of the tea tree or Melaluca alternifolia- which is not the same as the plant that is used to make black and green tea. It is used to treat a variety of ailments, including acne, cuts, nail fungus and ear infections. However, it is suggested not to use internally.
Does Tea Tree Oil Kill Lice?
Tea tree oil is a powerful method used to kill head lice without any harmful side effects. Tea tree oil contains natural antiviral, insecticides, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties that help kill lice effectively and prevent further occurrence as well. Tea tree oil helps coat the scalp and hair, contains properties that will kill head lice and their eggs too. It also helps soothe and heals the irritated and inflamed scalp affected by lice.
Top Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Lice:
Lice are annoying and painful, but tea tree oil can also be used in several ways to help kill lice effectively. Lice can not bear the smell of the oil, so try these effective home methods to get rid of lice using tea tree oil.
1.) Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Massage with few drops of tea tree oil in the scalp and hair.
- Leave it overnight.
- Cover your head with a towel or put on a shower cap.
- This will help skill the lice and their eggs fast.
- Next morning, comb your head with a comb.
- Make sure you keep some white cloth or towel under so that lice are visible and dead.
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo and conditioner your hair by mixing tea tree oil in your conditioner.
- Repeat this method regularly until you see all the lice dead.
Note: Tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner is great for killing and repelling lice.
2.) Natural Shampoo with Coconut Oil and Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Mix 1 tsp of tea tree oil and 3 tablespoons of either olive or coconut oil.
- Apply the solution on your scalp and hair.
- Gently massage all over your head.
- Cover your hair with a towel or a plastic shower cap for 30-45 minutes.
- Comb your hair with small bristles comb to remove the dead lice.
- Wash your hair with a warm and a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy until you see some results.
3.) Mix Lavender Oil with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- This process acts as a natural repellent.
- Mix 1 tsp of tea tree oil and ½ tsp of lavender oil.
- Apply this mix to your scalp and hair.
- Keep it for 1 hour, then comb your hair to remove dead lice.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat regularly as needed.
4.) Mix Olive Oil with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Olive oil consists of insecticide properties that help loosen the lice and remove it easily.
- Mix a tsp of tea tree oil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix the solution well.
- Apply the solution to your scalp and hair.
- Gently massage your hair and scalp.
- Leave for 45-60 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Again rinse your hair with vinegar to prevent lice.
- Comb your hair to remove the dead lice.
- Repeat this method as per your requirement.
5.) Mix Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil in your regular shampoo.
- Wash your hair with this shampoo daily and you can also mix it with your conditioner.
- Avoid eucalyptus oil in your eyes or mouth as it can cause pain and irritation.
6.) Mix Vodka Tea with Tree Oil for Lice
- Mix a half cup of vodka and 20 drops of tea tree oil together.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this solution to the affected hair and scalp.
- Leave it for 10 -12 hours and then wash your hair using warm water.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times a week to get rid of lice.
7.) Mix Alcohol with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Mix 2 tsp of tea tree oil and a half cup of alcohol in an empty spray bottle.
- Spray this solution on your scalp and hair.
- Leave it for 12 hours and then comb your hair to remove dead lice.
- Repeat this method until you see some positive results.
8.) Make a Spray with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Mix 10 – 15 drops of tea tree oil and 2 cups of water to dilute it and pour it into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on any lice-affected areas including hair, clothing, furniture, animals, and toys.
- Repeat this method after every week to get rid of lice.